Friday, February 6, 2009

Rant about fastfood

They’re trying to kill us all. The Fast food industry; Not only is their food cheap and convenient but it tastes good because of all the fat and sugar. Sigh. The portions are outrageous and they have absolutely no cares about calorie counts. Really they’re approaching my estimation of the cigarette companies; do they see us all as expendable? Do they just see us as a quick buck, who cares how they affect our health? One lunch combo at most of these places has my entire DAY’S worth of calories. A whole days worth! In one meal! No wonder America is full of fattys! We are eating 3 or more times the amount of calories we need every day! What’s the cause of all this ranting? 2 reasons really. The first is that I saw at Jack in the box today that they have a new menu item. It’s called Taco Nachos. You know those deep fried tacos that they offer, the ones with the mystery meat? Well for just $2 you can get this: They take two of those tacos, cut each one into three ‘chips’ and smother them in nacho cheese sauce. They even don’t bother to put the lettuce inside the tacos, they just put it in the bottom of the bowl to fluff it out a bit. I mean they wouldn’t want you to get any vegetables by accident! LOL! I can’t believe that they can, in good conscience, offer such things. I mean it - they’re trying to kill us all!

Well, I’m an admitted fast food lover. I like to have hot food especially when I’m tired, and I’m lazy so I don’t like to cook myself breakfast. I love eggs and by themselves they’re not really that bad for you so that’s how I justify it. Here’s what I do on a regular basis, thinking I wasn’t doing so bad for myself. Jack in the Box’s Meaty breakfast burrito combo - it’s just eggs, meat and cheese. Of course it comes with the hash browns and I always get it with a Medium coke. Just under 5 bucks. But I knew that portion was going to be to many calories for me so I hit upon this idea.. I take it home and I open up the burrito and I take out half the eggs, half of the little sausage pieces and the piece of bacon and put them on a plate for my toddler. I give him 3 of the hashbrown sticks and put 2 into the burrito. Then I have that and the coke for breakfast and he has eggs, cheese, sausage, bacon and hashbrowns with milk. Not bad right? WRONG! This is my other reason for ranting. Here I thought I was doing alright but I decided to get a calorie count so I could keep track. Look at this: The burrito is 610 calories, the coke is 260 and the hashbrowns are 230. That mean the total for this ‘meal’ is 1100 calories. That means if I even eat half of it, I’m consuming 550 calories. But really because I’m drinking the whole coke its more like 680 calories. That’s twice my target for each meal. In other words that’s breakfast AND lunch in my book. Sigh. No wonder I’m fat. Not to mention the fact that I was feeding half of that to my toddler! I was giving him way more calories and fat than he needed as well. Setting him up for obesity when he’s only 2?! Well, I hope the people who own those fast food restaurants sleep well at night while the rest of us have nightmares about the food they make and we get suckered into buying. As for me – I’m going to buck up and make myself food from now on. At least I’ll know what I’m getting calorie wise.

No comments: